Interested in Volunteering?
Seeking interns to provide virtual reference on a volunteer basis.
Deadline: Internships begin Monday, June 6th. The internships are open until filled, applications will be considered immediately as they are received. May close at any time.
- Interns must be graduates of or currently enrolled students at an ALA-accredited graduate school program OR have demonstrable reference experience
- Interns must either be Texas residents or enrolled in an ALA-accredited graduate program based in Texas
- Interns must commit to volunteering at least two hours per week from June 6th to August 19th. Interns can trade shifts, but you need to be able to commit most weeks.
- If you have applied in the past, please feel free to reapply
- Some subbing or switching shifts with others is allowed
- Must have reliable access to a computer and the Internet during that time.
- Must have experience reference work or credit for at least a basic reference course
- Experience with database searching, online catalogs, and Internet searching
- Experience with Internet browsers and tabbed browsing
- Have good communication and customer service skills
- Multi-tasking ability
- Experience with instant messaging software
- Are willing to work from a distance
- Able to download small software programs onto computers you will use
- Experience with wikis, message boards, and social networking
- Have a strong interest in virtual reference and good customer service
- Previous virtual reference or online customer service experience
- Experience using Meebo, ZohoChat, PureChat, LibChat or similar programs
- Experience using Screencast-o-matic, Jing, Camtasia, Captivate, SnagIt or similar programs.
- Real world experience
- Ability to volunteer from home
- Experience using virtual reference technologies
- Download the application here application.doc (Word Document)
- Complete the application and e-mail it to email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact Liz Barksdale at firstname.lastname@example.org